One of the focuses in this reading was the effect that a teacher has on the students writing. For instance, if I, as a teacher, demonstrate to my class that I write, they will be able to see themselves more clearly as a writer. One of the key components to demonstrating to the class that you are a writer is through previous experience of being a writer. However, I have not always been a writer and to this day do not consider myself a writer. Therefore, I worry about how I will influence my student’s attitude and experience as writers. I hopefully can gain the knowledge that is needed to help my students by reading this book and through this class. This section of the book also gave me some ways to write that could positively affect my students as writers. For example, it suggested to teachers to take notes at conferences and during the summer. It also suggested writing poems, which I find great excitement for when writing the rhyming ones! Consequently, I will plan to set my previous negative experiences with writing aside and instill in my students my excitement from writing. I hope by doing so that my students develop a positive attitude towards being the best writers they can be.
As I stated in my writer’s notebook, I have never really considered myself to be a writer because I’ve never been given the option of writing. I think something like the writer’s notebook would be a great starting point for students, like me, who haven’t been exposed to writing. One of the underlying reasons I have never written is due to the fact that I don’t know what to write about! When the Ray discusses the nature of the workshop curriculum, I think that showing students ways to connect through relationships is a first step in writing. For example, our writer’s notebooks! It is a great place to start because you make a connection to who you are as a person to who you are as a writer. Like the book says, your writer’s notebook is your own “painter’s palette” and it helps you start the process of writing. Since I have already learned about myself as a writer through keeping a writer’s notebook, I think that my students as beginning writers should also keep a writer’s notebook. I hope that I can help my students “paint their own picture” of them as a writer by doing so.
I'm thrilled that poetry makes you happy. There are so many great ways to write - poetry is my favorite. I really admire people who can write a strong rhyming poem. It is a real challenge for me. One of the great parts of knowing about so many different ways to write is that everyone can find something that they are good at - so you have a class full of writers who each have their own strengths and areas of expertise.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the notebook has already been a good space for you to make a start into your writing self. It is amazing how the time and space and encouragement can change us so quickly.
Beth